Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Piece of Idiot Cake

A Dunkin Donuts ad featuring Rachael Ray was pulled after conservative commentators argued the talk show host's scarf implied support of Muslim extremism.

The online ad was taken down this weekend because of "the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee," the company said in a statement.

Conservatives like Michelle Malkin contended Ray's black-and-white scarf looked like the traditional Arab headdress called a kaffiyeh. They said the scarf appeared to show support for terrorism.

Malkin wrote that the kaffiyeh "has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad."

The company responded: "Absolutely no symbolism was intended."

***

This takes the cake in idiocy. Which other conservative commentators? I wonder which ones ... Rush, Sean, Bill ... fess up!

I'd drop the ad just because the scarf looks like she cut up Dylan McKay's old baja pullover and placed it around her neck, but to say it supports terrorism?!?! Makes me wonder what has become of this country sometimes, but I am usually too afraid to ask.

1 comment:

The Rabbit Wrangler said...

When I saw this, I just had to shake my head. I absolutely cannot believe how over-the-top some people are with seeing links to terrorism everywhere. Will black and white checkerboard tile floors now be seen as a subversive way to support terrorism? Just think... kitchens and bathrooms everywhere will have to be re-done just to avoid getting on the FBI's terrorist tracking list. And I'm sorry, but anymore, when I read "conservative" I immediately convert it to "zealot" or "idiot" in my head. I mean seriously, is there no middle ground anymore? Either you're a flag waving hyper-patriot, or you're a closet Al-Queda operative?